Monday, October 22, 2012

Our Fourth Meeting: October

We had such a great meeting this week! The girls were really excited to earn their very first petal, and everything went according to plan -- I love it when that happens! Here's what we did:

Premeeting: The girls wrote in their journals about their favorite ice cream flavors.

Opening 

Song: Our choices were either the Daisy Girl Scout Song or "I'm a Little Daisy." We sang the second, and while it wasn't their favorite song ever, I like that they learned a song specific to Scouting.

Circle: We shared our journal entries, and then we read the Lupe story in the Daisy Scout Handbook and answered the questions at the end. I also told the girls the three steps we needed to do to earn our Lupe (Honest & Fair) petal.

Snack: We had a lot of choices for snack, yum! To earn our Honest and Fair petal, we had a whole bag of Goldfish that the girls had to decide how to divide up fairly. They didn't like my suggestion that myself and my coleader got to eat them all! :) In the end, they decided that each girl should get 6 Goldfish. Yay!

Activity: This is the only thing that didn't go entirely to plan. I would suggest doing this with older girls. I'm not sure if our leaves weren't pressed long enough or what, but they did not want to stick to the mason jars! The leaf lanterns did turn out pretty cute (we added flameless tealights inside), but I'm not sure how long the leaves stayed stuck on. Ah well, the girls really liked doing it and thought they were "beautiful!"




Game: We played the Right/Left game. Basically, you sit in chairs in a circle and every time you hear the word "left" or "right," you move one seat in that direction. They loved this game -- I'm glad I printed off extra stories so we could play several rounds!

Closing: I put Secret Missions for Operation Lupe in the girls' mailboxes, and so I explained what they were all about in our closing circle. Basically, the girls were challenged to practice being honest and fair in two different ways before our next meeting. I hope they are excited about being secret agents!


What has your best meeting ever been? Leave a message in the comments below!

2 comments:

  1. Could you tell me more about the secret agent folders for Lupe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure! Here's the text I used in the secret agent tasks:

      Dear Secret Agent __________:

      Your secret mission this week, should you choose to accept it, is to put your Lupe petal into action. Practice being Honest and Fair in two different ways, and return to the next meeting to tell Agent Jacy and Agent Cori and the rest of your Secret Agent Daisy troop how you did it. You can draw a picture of what you did below to show the rest of the agents. Good luck, agent!

      Delete